2.4.0-test8-pre1 is quite bad / how about integrating Rik's VM now?

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 05:27:33 EST

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 03:58:22PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > filesystem? It starts swapping like mad and generally behaves
> > indecently, despite the huge 1024M of RAM it has.
>
> http://www.surriel.com/patches/2.4.0-t8p1-vmpatch2
>
> I'm working on these issues and seem to be pretty close
> to having fixed most of them now...

Rik, Linus,

I understand that your current VM approach was guided by long discussions
here with Linus and others, and that they have more or less blessed your
approach. I also think that the kernel people feel that the current VM is
not up to it, and that yours may be.

In the interest of preventing closed-room development, wouldn't it be a good
idea to merge your patches NOW? A lot of knowledge would be gained very
rapidly. Not many people can be bothered to merge your patches right now.

The only problem would be a stability decrease for current 2.4.0 production
users. Developers however will have lots more chances to improve the new VM
and submit patches.

Linus, please consider working with Rik whenever they feel ready for an
experimental merge.

Regards,

bert hubert