Re: thread group comments

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 20:02:50 EST

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 05:50:04PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> "Andi Kleen" <ak@suse.de> writes:
>
> > I've been thinking about how to best get rid of the thread manager for
> > thread creation in LinuxThreads. It is currently needed to do the wait.
>
> If you get rid of the manager thread (the +1 thread) then you have
> another problem: you cannot send a signal explicitly to this thread
> (to implement pthread_kill). The PID of this initial thread is now
> used as the PID of the thread group.

The first goal would be to get it out of the critical path of pthread_create.

I think Linus proposed to add a settid() system call later to generate
a new thread id, when that one is there then you could use that tid and
remove it completely.

Do you think the SA_NOCLDWAIT/queued exit signal approach makes sense ?

-Andi