Re: MTBF data for linux

From: Jim Garlick (garlick@llnl.gov)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 17:27:57 EST

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Jim Garlick wrote:
> Can someone point me to MTBF data for Linux? I realize this is kind of
> vague. Ideally I would like MTBF for kernel 2.2.14 running on SMP Alpha,
> but any data is better than nothing. This is to help win an argument to
> put linux on a large cluster. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the replies so far (public and private). Just to clarify:
the argument is Compaq Tru64 vs linux for a large (~1000 node) cluster of
alphas. NT is not in the running, so old ammo from the desktop wars
won't help here.

What I'm looking for is someone who is running a large number of nodes and
has gathered statistics reflecting the average number of system crashes over
time. Obviously this depends on hardware, workload, power, etc.; however
a good MTBF for any cluster of linux systems would help build a little
confidence.

Simply pointing to the many large HPC linux clusters in use all over the
world, or even at other U.S. energy labs apparently isn't convincing enough.

Thanks again,

Jim