Re: MTBF data for linux

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 17:10:11 EST

> > Can someone point me to MTBF data for Linux? I realize this is kind of
> > vague. Ideally I would like MTBF for kernel 2.2.14 running on SMP Alpha,
> > but any data is better than nothing. This is to help win an argument to
> > put linux on a large cluster. Thanks in advance.
>
> The answer is pretty simple...
> longer than any hardware you put it on!

I dont think thats quite the case. I'd actually suggest the right place to
ask about clusters is the extreme-linux list (see www.extreme-linux.org). These
guys are running real large beowulfs and will actually have data reflecting
that kind of usage. Also since they run these sites and have to justify them
financially they'll have more reliable data than others.

Alpha and SMP are both things that seem to reduce your MTBF ..