Re: Large File support and blocks.

From: Richard Henderson (rth@twiddle.net)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 12:19:48 EST

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 12:09:23AM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Perhaps an "easy" way to go would be to convert block numbers to
> type "block_nr_t", then one could measure the difference that 10's of
> nanoseconds make against seeks and reads of disk data.

That's not the issue. The issue is that the type creeps through
the entire rest of the VFS and page cache. Once the page cache
is affected, we're no longer talking about seeks and disk reads.

In any case, I'm not defending the decision, but reporting previous
discussion. Anyway, it's not like I'd care -- I've got Alphas.

r~