Re: VFAT problem

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 11:10:26 EST

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Gaines, Brett W wrote:

> I have discovered a problem with the Linux 2.4.0 VFAT filesystem. Short
> names that have mixed case do not retain their case on the VFAT
> filesystem. This has mostly worked in the past on 2.1.x, 2.2.x, 2.3.x
> kernels. I am currently testing 2.4.0-test8-pre1. The filsystem was
> mounted with the following options: 'uid=500,gid=250,umask=000,quiet'.
> I have code page 437 and ISO 8859-1 built into the kernel with all
> other character sets available as modules. I have attached a BASH script
> that when run on a VFAT mounted filesystem fails. The last test case
> that the script runs fails on ALL versions of Linux that I have tested:
> 2.1.126, 2.2.16, 2.3.99-pre6 thru 2.4.0-test8-pre1.

Is it supposed to? My MS-DOS file system(s) always have shown files
with their names mapped to lower case. The MS-DOS files all have
upper case file-names and always will. It's only Windows file-systems,
starting with FAT-32, then NT-FS that have upper/lower case file-names,
and container-files for "Very Long File Names with spaces and a letter to
the president"

If the file-system is identified as a MS-DOS file-system when mounted,
you will see the file names in lower case. I don't think this is a
bug because that's the way it is designed.

Regardless of how you create them, new file-names will look lower-case,
but internally, corresponding to the MS-DOS de-facto specs., the
file-names will be in upper case.

FYI MBASIC allowed DOS files to be created in lower case. You could
not delete them, except from MBASIC.

Also, your shell-script was created in DOS. Instead of the Unix/Linux
stream-LF format, you had CR/LF at each end-of-line. Not nice if
you expect to have somebody actually test something for you.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.