Re: Linux 2.2.18pre1

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 07:21:58 EST

In article <20000901135015.A9769@gruyere.muc.suse.de>,
Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de> wrote:
>The big problem with the raid patches is that there is no way back for your
>raid array, unless somebody adds a noconv modus to raidutils and support into
>the kernel to keep the old super block version. It also requires tools
>updates.

Well at least the RAID0 format from 2.2.x is useable with RAID0.90.
I'm not sure about raid1/5, but people using those probably have
migrated to RAID0.90 anyway (?)

The biggest problem I think is that the new RAID tools don't work with
older kernels. If they did you could keep your 2.2.x RAID0 array and
switch between 2.2.x raid and 0.90 raid without switching around
tools and rewriting /etc/mdtab to /etc/raidtab and back all the time.

It would be even better if the raid 0.90 code had a compatibility
mode for the older raidtools..

Or has that been fixed already ?

Mike.