Re: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than onnative

From: Michael Rothwell (rothwell@holly-springs.nc.us)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 19:30:54 EST

yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:
> Linux processes are more lightweight than "threads" on many operating
> systems. As Rob Pike pointed out many years ago: a perceived need for
> "threads" means that processes are poorly designed.

Do you have any statistics to back this up? I've heard that same
statement before, but it's always asserted without evidence or
argument. While I'm inclined to believe it based on my experience
with other OSes (NT/2000, Solaris, SunOS, OSF/1, Ultrix, MacOS, BSD),
I would like to see some proof, if there's proof to be had.

Thanks!

-M