Re: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than onnative Linux"

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 14:36:22 EST

Tigran,

One other area whee Linux could get into trouble. Unixware does not
implement a spin_lock reader/writer lock nor does it implement spin_lock
style barrier synch object (from UI). Some of their kernel apps will
barf if they use the reader/writer locks in Linux. Their kernel cannot
support cases where spin_lock() style reader/writer locks are used.

They also implemet priority inheritance for sleep locks as an SMP
optimization. Linux appears to use priority inversion (Linus is this
correct). Priority inheritence is a good feature for SMP scaling. They
also implement a ticket scheme for sleep locks that are taken in a lock
ordering model, so if you deadlock, they have very good mechanisms for
detecting this. Something Linux could use ....

Jeff