Re: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than onnative Linux"

From: Michael Rothwell (rothwell@holly-springs.nc.us)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 14:33:35 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Andi Kleen wrote:
> >
> > So you would prefer a two level threads library ?
>
> Read as "continuations in user space"? Sure.

Solaris (and possibly the upcoming BSD threads support)
will map threads onto kernel threads as needed. Provides
better scaling. But it's really a glibc issue. LinuxThreads
author Xavier Leroy (I think) decided to do a 1:1 mapping.
LinuxThreads became the glibc pthreads implementation.

End of story.

Standardized light weight threads would be nice. Does the
kernel evenhave to provide any additional support to make
them possible? Or can the glibc guys just bang them out?

-M