Re: INITRD/RAMDISK/SYSLINUX booting fails with new kernel (vs2.2series)

From: Michael Peddemors (michael@wizard.ca)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 11:18:23 EST

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> Try mem=31M for grins (hunch-o-meter says memory detection changes)
GREAT HUNCH!

Well, that got rid of the initrd extended beyond message...

And later it at least FINDS a compressed image....(Just used a known good
filesystem and it boots)

Is this a bug report that it doesn't see the memsize correctly compared to
previous kernels? Can't be putting mem= in my distro..
rts 4096, the zone(1) reports 3840, and zone(2) is 0)

> LOADER_TYPE 49 is the identifier for syslinux.
> from ldlinux.asm:
> syslinux_id equ 031h ; SYSLINUX (3) version 1.x (1)
>
> At a glance, it looks like INITRD_SIZE is set wrong.
>
> Please verify INITRD_START, and add INITRD_SIZE to your printk.
> INITRD_START=3276800 means INITRD_SIZE=30249773.. and that doesn't
> jibe with floppy ;-) Here, syslinux always loads (16k aligned)
> the initrd at top of memory and gets INITRD_SIZE right.
>
> > Strange why this (2.4 vs 2.2) kernel works different tho.. Something MUST
> > have changed.

When I added the INITRD_SIZE paramater to the printk statement, I get `692836`
That is the EXACT size of my initrd.gz file.

So now we know what is going on, but what is the BUG resolution...
Is it a problem with the sysloader, the 1743k disk, or the memory that the
new 2.4 kernel isn't handling??