Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Bob Taylor (brtaylor@inreach.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 02:42:49 EST

In message <399824C1.B6AC661D@holly-springs.nc.us>, Michael
Rothwell writes:
cc: Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl>, Mo McKinlay
<mmckinlay@gnu.org>,
            Michael Rothwell <rothwell@flyingbuttmonkeys.com>,
            Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>,
            Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
            "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU>,
            dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org>,
            linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Rob Taylor wrote:
> >

> > > myfile
> > > and
> > > myfile/resource
> > >

> > hang on, Am i just going mad or does this not seem really sensible - i.e. i
>f we
> > allow the existance of an entity that is both a file and a directory, it wo
>uld
> > be a sane generalization of both HFS's forks and NTFS's streams...?
> > Or. alterntively I could be going mad.... ;)
>

> You're not going mad. But files w/named streams are not
> directories. Open a file in vi. Open a directory in vi.
> The latter is meaningless, right? But if you open a file
> with streams in vi, it works.

But a directory *is* a file! The difference is:

    1. It has a *directory* attribute
    2. It has a *defined* format

Don't forget *nix has *other* attributes also. So, exactly what
is the problem with adding *another* attribute? Why *not* just
define a new extended attribute "directory" with a defined
format?

Bob

+