Re: multi-part files again -- what can we do to allow experimentation

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolinux.com)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 22:41:24 EST

Michael Rothwell writes:
> If we delivered an experimental patch for 2.2.16,
> would people be willing to try it out?

Note that there are _already_ working patches (2.2 and 2.4) for adding EA
functions to the kernel, along with ext2 support for same. In addition,
there is ACL support using these EAs, as well as capability support using
EAs under development. These are "named" extended attributes, so the
API should be usable for HPFS and other EAs I think. I'm not sure if the
Macintosh HFS "extra" data would be considered a named EA, or if it is a
"stream".

The only thing that needs doing is an API implementation for named streams
(one that works well, mind you) which can be used for NTFS, UFS, and HFS
(if it isn't considered an EA). Also, the semantics that appear in the
filesystem/VFS are important.

For EA data, it simply does not appear in the filesystem at all - there is
a special syscall required to access the EA data (consistent with Irix
and possibly Solaris). It returns a fixed amount of data, not a file
handle of any sort.

Info can be found at: <http://acl.bestbits.at/>

Cheers, Andreas