Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Mo McKinlay (mmckinlay@gnu.org)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 20:22:21 EST

Yesterday, Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu) wrote:

# Bingo! So there I am, saying rename("foo:sheesh", "bar:sheesh");
# Look, mommy - I've got this strange "bar" thing I wasn't asking for!
# That's precisely the same problem that started this subthread - weird side
# effects on the namespace. I can tell you that it is a fucking hell to deal
# with. BTDT.

You can't rename("foo:sheesh", "bar:sheesh") anyway. You can
rename("foo:sheesh", "foo:kebab") but not -rename- a stream from one file
to another.

OTOH, if you were to create "foo:sheesh", a zero-length file
called 'foo' would be created if it didn't already exist. However, if
you're creating a stream, you're not going to be at all suprised by the
effects of a zero-length 'holding' file being created as a side-effect
(I'd personally be worried if it wasn't).

However, the : can't easily be used because it's used in far too many
places already, the / can't be used because it implies a directory..

--
Mo McKinlay             Chief Software Architect          inter/open Labs