Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 13:47:14 EST

> Why would someone even attempt to restore an NTFS volume onto
> an HFS one? NFS does not currently export NTFS, Vfat,
> etc. Version 4 _does_ include support for EAs.

The lack of support by NFS for these filesystems has nothing to do
with support or not of extended attributes. It's the lack of a sane
inode numbering scheme within the Linux implementation of these
filesystems that is the problem.

In any case we'd be perfectly capable of integrating most of the
solutions discussed so far in this thread within the frameworks of
NFSv2/v3. Even Linus' special 'S_IFCOMPLEX' file type can be
comfortably accommodated without causing crashes on foreign systems
that don't care about it.

Cheers,
  Trond