Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: wingel@t1.ctrl-c.liu.se
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 13:07:54 EST

torvalds@transmeta.com wrote:
>And we _should_ expose to user space some way that files are linked. The
>HFS behaviour where you cannot even tell whether it's a resource or
>another filesystem that just happens to have that particular layout is not
>giving people useful information.

Actually, I consider this a feature. It means that we can use samba to
export a filsystem to a NT machine and have samba not have to care if
it's ext2, NTFS or whatever providing the storage. (Not really true
of course, on a HFS partition, the .AppleDouble/file automatically
get renamed if the main stream gets renamed).

>Quite frankly, "tar" is not that big a deal. It can be extended upon. I
>don't see why people keep harping on that issue.

IMHO, it's not tar as much as being compatible with most other Unix
systems and working with NFS that's the problem.

It's mostely that I'd like to see something that would work on other
Unices too.

  /Christer