Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 06:58:17 EST

Michael Rothwell wrote:
> Rogier Wolff wrote:
>
> > tar copyability
> > unpackability on ext2fs
>
> All filesystems may be no different than Ext2, then?

No.

But the current "HFS workaround" makes the filesystem look as a normal
enough filesystem, so that if you tar it on HFS and then untar it on
either HFS or ext2, it works.

Linus' suggestion of having a mix between a file and a dir is
interesting, but is not representable by a normal ext2fs, or
TAR. Having to extend the TAR format is a pain in the ass. Losing info
when you untar onto an ext2fs is also annoying. A friend of mine has a
Linux fileserver that is used to share files between his apple and his
windows machine. The current way that atalkd stores files is the same
as that HFS exports stuff. This means that everything is
interoperable.

I think that the "presentation" side can be extended to do arbitrary
named streams. I think that implementation problems should be fixed as
implementation problems, and not pushed to the design phase. Linus is
trying to promote a solution because he thinks it will be easier to
implement. As I don't know anything about the implementation, I hope
that I'm less biased to think about the troubles in the implementation
:-)

                                Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********