Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 04:01:33 EST

On 14 Aug 2000 wingel@t1.ctrl-c.liu.se wrote:

> [replying to my self *sigh*]
> I wrote:
> >Files with alternate streams look exactly like normal files except
> >that they also have a S_IFCOMPLEX flag and that one can use them as
> >directories. When accessing such a file as a directory, it should
> >act as a separate filesystem of its own, so that renames and links
> >work inside this filesystem, but not outside it:
>
> This introduces one new thing which is really incompatible with
> POSIX filesystems, a file that can also act as a directory.

That's absolutely horrible.

> What is the basic reason why this directory can't live in a special
> directory called ".fork"? So instead of doing "cd file-with-forks"
> one does "cd .fork/file-with-forks"?

That's also horrible.

BTW: What do you do if there's a real directory called ".fork"? Or a file?

You also still have the original problem of naming the forks!

If I create "foo" and "bar", both with a fork called "splat", what tree do
I get? This one:

foo
bar
.fork/foo:splat
.fork/bar:splat

(i.e. my idea, but with all the files partially duplicated under magically
created special directories)? This is truly horrible.

> That would work on ext2, NFS or any POSIX like filesystem.

It might possibly work, but it would leave a mess on the keyboard. Don't
do it.

> The disadvantage is that there will be a magic directory called
> .fork (with the same permissions as the parent directory I suppose)
> which can't be renamed or deleted. The subdirectories inside
> the .fork-directory would have the same permissions as the
> corresponding file and would have the same limitations as mounted
> filesystems, no hardlinks outside of the directory. And if one
> deletes or renames the parent, the .fork directory follows.

It's a horrible mess, and it solves precisely NOTHING - the same problem
remains!

James.