Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 03:23:08 EST

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, James Sutherland wrote:

Hrmm... Time travel. Could be useful :-)

> > > Sorry? I do rename("foo","bar"); Suddenly foo:splat becomes bar:splat.
> > > Which of them should I drop?
> >
> > What has that got to do with short filenames?
>
> Sigh... OK, I really need more coffee. Let me put it that way: this
> behaviour (names migrating as the result of operation on different names)
> has really nasty implications. On VFAT we had it due to short names. Your
> proposal on NTFS promises the same sort of fun. Experience from dealing
> with the shortname problems on VFAT makes me rather unhappy about your
> proposal.
>
> > There is a decision to be made: does renaming "foo" to "bar" rename
> > "foo:splat" to "bar:splat". It would do under NT; OTOH, this isn't NT, and
> > we cannot enforce this across all filesystems which may contain a
> > "foo:splat". I'd go with "foo" != "foo:splat". Keep the two distinct.
>
> They are _not_ distinct in the beginning.

I think we can simply "pretend" they are - they WILL be on some filing
systems (ext2), but not others (NTFS). Making this as consistent as
possible means making the files as distinct as possible.

> OK, NTFS is claimed to support links. I bet that they apply to the
> whole bunch of forks/whatever, not to the individual components.
> rename() will do...?

The same problem comes up if you treat the files as directories. Or
mountpoints.

I know what we'll do in the ext2 case; ideally, NTFS should do the same.

> Are there separate permissions/ownership on these beasts?

Under NTFS, no. Under ext2, yes.

> Welcome to fun with rename() that happens to split them (and that will
> be any rename in your variant).

We'll have to split them in plenty of cases anyway. Better to regard them
as distinct from the outset wherever possible.

James.