Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 02:34:05 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > hfs works fine. This is a debate about an existing solved non problem.
>
> Alan, do you really mean to say that every filesystem that has resource
> forks shoul dsolve the problem over and over again, and in different
> manners?

The HFS solution has a bunch of nice properties. I and Alan seem to
agree that they are to be "design guidelines" that are to be taken
into account. Whatever you design, take into account that

        tar copyability
        unpackability on ext2fs

are important to some people. A regular file that happens to be a
directory too is just too unfamiliar that lots of things are going to
break unexpectedly.

> It's already been made clear that the HFS solutions is unacceptable for
> NTFS.
>
> In contrast, the NTFS solution _would_ be acceptable for HFS.

Right, but it has to provide the same features that HFS users now use.

So to me, the make it both a file and a directory solution is out of
the question. Besides some namespace issues, the ":" trick works for
me.

Appletalk server mangles unrepresentable characters with %<hexnumber>
(% included). It's slightly less clean, but that's how it's done.

I still don't understand why the .Appledouble directory trick doesn't
work. Sure, the apple method only allows one extra fork, the resource
fork, but we can easily extend that.

I don't understand why the dcache would be incompatible with a
hardlink for say the "data" part of a file. We can have hardlinks on
ext2fs, why is it a problem?

Hmm. Is it that when e.g. I remove the "normal" datafork, the other
stuff also disappears?

Shouldn't we say that when this happens, the filesystem needs to keep
the dentry cache happy by explicitly invalidating the possible dcache
entry? (because it won't automatically happen on ext2! and in that
case say the appletalk server needs to cleanup itself.)

                                Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********