PCMCIA on Sony Vaio: broken, working, broken again?

From: Don Faulkner (dfaulkner@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 17:04:27 EST

I apologize if this has been discussed previously. I haven't found
reference to this specific behavior though.

My Sony Vaio has had an odd history with PCMCIA support. Here's the
shortened history:

On various 2.2.x & 2.3.x kernels, PCMCIA would hang the machine when a
card was inserted or removed.

On linux-2.4.0-test4, using pcmcia-cs-3.1.16, Everything worked fine.
pcmcia-cs-3.1.11, which I was using prior to the upgrade exhibited the
hang behavior.

Now on linux-2.4.0-test5, which works great for everything else, I have
the hang behavior again.

Here's how I got PCMCIA working on 2.4.0-test4/3.3.16:

1. Build kernel as normal (make xconfig; make dep; make clean; make
   bzImage && make modules && make modules_install)
2. Build pcmica-cs as normal (make config; make install)
3. Go to pcmcia-cs-3.1.16/modules and (make all; make install)
4. Modify /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia (RH 6.2):
        ! PCIC_OPTS=cs_irq=7
5. Modify /etc/modules.conf:
        + options i82365 irq_mode=0

All of this succeeds in getting a working config.

Now to the problem. Install linux-2.4.0-test5. Then try to run make on
pcmcia-3.1.1[69]/modules (the two versions I have). You get the following
error:

-----
cc -MD -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -pipe -I../include/static
-I/usr/src/linux/include -I../include -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -c cs.c
In file included from cs.c:66:
cs_internal.h:136: parse error before `ss_entry_t'
cs_internal.h:136: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
cs_internal.h:177: parse error before `}'
cs_internal.h:177: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of
`socket_info_t'
cs_internal.h:177: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
cs_internal.h:214: parse error before `*'
------
And so on.

I don't think there's an error in cs_internal.h (it worked fine on
test4) but I can't find the problem in the linux include tree (where I
suppose it to be).

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm willing to to fiddle and hit this
myself, as it's my machine's problem *grin*, but a push in the right
direction would be appreciated.

On the bright side. I can report many successes for the Vaio platform. My
company has standardized on the Z505 platform and at least half of them
are running Linux with great success. Everything works, with just a few
exceptions: winmodem, memory stick, jog dial, and acpi stuff (smart
battery, et. al.) Sound (ALSA & OSS), InfraRed, USB, and Firewire all
appear to be working well.

Thanks for listening.

--
Don Faulkner, KB5WPM             |
                                 | "All that is gold does not glitter."
 ( This space unintentionally    | "not all those who wander are lost."
                 left blank )    |                    --J.R.R. Tolkien