Re: Definitions

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 12:03:38 EST

> Rik van Riel wrote:
> comment on this. Millions of users (according to what SuSE tells me our level of usage is in
> Europe) are not wandering around saying, damn, I keep making reiserfs freeze. Do you use reiserfs?

Wrong criteria:

The real test is

Can XYZ evil bastard with the source code construct a non setuid application
that causes the absolute worst case behaviour and deadlocks or crashes the
machine.

As I understand it now the answer to that is yes - for reiser, xfs and ext3
(in fact more so for ext3 than the others)

Its a bad idea to ship code with a hard to fix problem that may pop up on
bugtraq a month later..

Alan