Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 03:09:22 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
> >
> > You know what tar(1) will do with you for that, don't you? Same ->st_ino
> > with different contents... And unlike procfs, here tar is a Reasonable
> > Thing(tm).
>
> But "tar" won't even _see_ the thing. Unless "tar" starts to know about
> S_IFCOMPLEX. In which case it's a non-issue.

Linus,

the HFS guys made a point of making the filesystem capable of being
tar-copied. I think that this is a useful feature. It's not that we
can't change tar: We have the source. It's that lots of Unix programs
make assumptions (similar to what tar does) about what a directory
tree looks like. Now you've never wanted to use tar to copy a
/procfs. But it works on NFS.

So, (I must've missed the first part of this discussion) what's wrong
with the HFS way of doing things?

        ~/myfile (data fork)
        ~/.resource/myfile (resource fork)

This may not be "generic" enough for abitrarily named forks. Think of
something that IS. It's not all that hard:

        ~/myfile (data/default fork)
        ~/.streams/myfile/resource (resource fork)
        ~/.streams/myfile/Icon (icon fork)
        ~/.streams/myfile/default (hardlink to ~/myfile )

Advantages:

- Tar-copyable.
- Unix utilities don't see anything odd.
- ls will show you just the "files" (unless -a or -R).

Disadvantages:

- The resource fork is a bit "far" away from the data
  fork. (myfile/data and myfile/resource are indeed closer)

Anything I've missed?

                                Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********