Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Rob Landley (landley@flash.net)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 00:46:14 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:

> > PS to Al Viro... Rio? The mp3 player? It has a desktop?
>
> Naw... Plan 9 window system. OK, for desktop you'll need to look at the
> acme.

You'll notice the qualifier in the original statement, "every desktop
I've ever seen". :) Mainly OS/2, the macintosh, and (most notoriously)
windows. (And even X to a certain extent. It's the tamest of the lot,
but it keeps wanting to replace the login prompt with its own version,
and it has X versions of just about every program imaginable (including
"ps" for some reason)...) It keeps its funky extra data in config files
and environment variables, but mostly it simply avoids actually being a
desktop...

I dunno, is the clipboard a system service or not? :)

Rob

(Time for bed if I want to stay on a day schedule...)