Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 22:43:19 EST

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Mo McKinlay wrote:

> Being able to do..
>
> $ cp files.tar.gz/docs/mydoc1.txt .
>
> Would be useful.

Yes. But I do agree 100% with Al on the fact that _that_ kind of thing
should be a user action rather than automatic. So you'd have to do

        mount -t ctar files.tar.gz files.tar.gz

first before the above would work.

> Being able to do..
>
> $ cp mydoc1.txt files.tar.gz/docs/
>
> Would be nice, but would be a pain to implement (and probably as slow as
> hell).

Hey, that is an implementation issue, not a design issue, so that's the
point where I don't care all that much any more. I'd not be all that
likely to use this feature (I still do "zcat < file.tar.gz | tar xvf -"
instead of using "tar zxvf file.tar.gz", because I'm an olfashioned old
fogey. I don't need my tar-files auto-mounted for me).

                        Linus