Re: lock_kernel() & kmalloc - evil together?

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 21:28:53 EST

In article <200008120137.VAA07065@tsx-prime.MIT.EDU>, Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Basically, the rule is that if you use a global cli/sti region, all bets
> are off.
>
>Hopefully only for the cpu which called the global cli() function,
>right?

Right.

Basically, the global cli/sti stuff plays games with the interrupt state
and thus potentially the counts. At least it used to do so - I don't
think the current version does, at least not on x86, but basically it's
not something you should depend on.

Same goes for the softirq variants (ie "bh_disable()" and "bh_enable()")
which really _do_ mess with the counts right now.

                Linus