Re: devfs / eth micro-problems

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 17:57:38 EST

--------- Received message begins Here ---------

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:02:39 -0400, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 05:03:07 +0200 (MET DST)
> > From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
>
> > (ii) I noticed recently one some machine that the two
> > ethernet cards had interchanged names. And indeed,
> > if I am not mistaken the 2.4.0-test2 change to eth_setup
> > causes the familiar ether=0,0,eth1 boot parameter to
> > assign the eth1 name to the first detected card.
> > I am inclined to consider this a buglet -
> > it is a bit inconvenient if one has to test kernel version
> > in the boot scripts.
> >
> > I'd tend to agree. Can you say a bit more about the change to
> > eth_setup (not being familiar with that section of code).
>
> How about configuring IP address based on the MAC address of the card
> rather than what the kernel happens to name it?

Thats easy enough to do now - I have a perl script that parses an
ifconfig, extracts the MAC address and then sets the IP that I have
associated with it. It can even change the name of the host, as well
as configure other things depending on the identity of the MAC
address.

This lets me use one backup system disk that can reconfigure itself to the
host -- just plug it in and boot.