Re: Linux 2.4 Status

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 16:55:10 EST

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>
>
> > Is there a good reason why we don't have the chipset tuning enabled all
> > the time? i.e., but another way, is there a downside to having it be
> > enabled all the time?
>
> You haven't answered my question....

In the past yes now there is no reason not to default it to active tuning.
With the new get out break point for unknown north and south bridge
combinations, thinks are better.

> > It's nice if we can avoid situations where if users don't config their
> > kernels correctly with the right config options, their reward is a
> > trashed disk.... :-)

True, and this is basically covered for the early quirky combinations.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

PS bone-heads or not, you have to follow the rules of data-phase services;
        regardless, because the nature of the interface layer in the
        hardware appears broken. You are dealing with a child that has
        to be hand walked the instructions, forever. Failing to do so is
        the same as telling you kid to play in the interstate.