Re: lock_kernel() & kmalloc - evil together?

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 13:49:30 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> >
> > Is there a counter of some type in Linux I could check to detect this
> > easily?
>
> It's called
>
> in_interrupt()
>
> in Linux - it's not a single counter, as hard interrupts and soft
> interrupts are counted separately, but it gives you the information you
> want (whether you're in an interrupt or not).

It's not a single counter in NetWare, it's one per processor. Soft ints
in NetWare are WorkToDo's and since WTD's can acquire a context from a
worker thread, they really don't count as 'real' soft interrupts, so
their model does not need to deal with them in special ways (they can
dynamically acquire a context and so can do all the things a real
process or thread can do).

Thanks! This will save me some time running down "hidden" context
switches in kernel API's. 2.4 is looking better everytime I download
it. I think you are getting very close now. MS is on the run at this
point -- I think you can ship it sooner than anticipated since bot MS
and Novell routinely release OS versions with upwards of 500 known level
I (crash the systems) bugs.

The VM peformance was better on the last test download. Still some
problems with low memory configurations though reported by my test
folks, but it looks close to being shipworthy...

:-)

Jeff