Re: super quick >2GB question

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 13:23:36 EST

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Mark Lehrer wrote:

> I've been reading through the latest kernel traffic trying to find a
> definitive answer on this but haven't had any luck. Here's the
> questions:
>
> 1) does linux 2.4 support >2GB files with ext2 on rh6.2 by just loading
> the new kernel?

yes, the basic functionality works (i.e. for all practical purposes it is
perfect). If you need something exotic like locking then I think it is
currently on 2.4 TODO list as being merged.

Basically, I sucessfully ripped 3G worth of audio tracks, cat'd them all
together as one file and lame(1)'d them all into a single (much
smaller!) mp3 file. So it is safe to say - it just works. And I didn't
upgrade glibc or anything like that. I only upgrade the kernel (and all
other relevant bits like modutils).

Regards,
Tigran