2.2.17pre15/16 NFS SMP lockup

From: Wade Hampton (whampton@staffnet.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 10:15:51 EST

Greetings.

I have a new VA system and loaded 2.2.17pre. When I
try to access directories or some files from my
very stable NFS server, my system hangs hard.
The server is RH 5.0 with patches to 5.2, 2.0.33,
uptime 450+ days. Following the hang, I have
no mouse, no keyboard, no magic sys req keys, etc.
This seems to be similar to a problem I was
having with earlier 2.2.x kernels (x=5-12) --
maybe last fall (seemed to be NFS related).

I know the old server's NFS is sort of broken,
but it is very stable. Use of it should not
hang my workstation.

Workstation system info:
  brand new VA system with dual PIII/800, 256MB RAM
  ATAPI CD-ROM, UDMA 20G HD, EEPRO 100 10/100 NIC
  Adaptec 8945 (aic7xxx SCSI used only)
  SCSI CD-R and SCSI HD
  Matrox G400 video
  ATI-TV BT848 video card (xawtv works well)
  Sound blaster ES1371 (PCI 128)
  SOund blaster Vibra 16 (ISA, default addresses)

  VA's version of RH 6.2, no patches applied
  2.2.16 with 2.2.17pre15 or 16 patch applied

The kernel seems to hang sometimes when I access
large files from my server. X is always running.
It seems to hang with and without modules loaded
for video and the SB Vibra 16.

So far, I have had 3-4 lockups on pre15 and
one on pre16.

Alt sysreq keys do not function....

Any help would be most appreciated. For now, I'm
trying 2.2.16 stock to see if it has similar
problems.

Cheers,

--
W. Wade, Hampton  <whampton@staffnet.com>
On July 8, 1947, witnesses claim a spaceship with five aliens aboard