Re: HFS-formatted CDROMs (was: Re: Linux 2.4 Status)

From: Bernd Kischnick (kisch@gmx.li)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 09:04:05 EST

Jens Axboe demands:
[ concerning 2048 vs. 512 byte blocks on CD-ROMs ]

> Yes, it is backwards. You wont find many IDE drives that support 512
> byte
> sectors, and not even all SCSI drives do.
>
> The bugs is in the SCSI CD-ROM driver, it doesn't properly handle
> requests smaller than 2048 per block. So yes it is a known bug.

If I get you right, there's a "re-blocker" in the CD-ROM driver that tries
to translate 512b-block accesses from the application to 2048b-sector
requests for the CD-ROM drive for those (apparently ubiquitary) drives that won't
handle 512b-sectors themselves?

And it fails?

Sad. Is this on the To-Do list?

tschüß,