Re: Changes

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 17:00:00 EST

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:07:24 +0200,
Ingo Oeser <ingo.oeser@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
><cite src="linux-2.4.0-test6/Makefile>
># If System.map exists, run depmod. This deliberately does not have a
># dependency on System.map since that would run the dependency tree on
># vmlinux. This depmod is only for convenience to give the initial
># boot a modules.dep even before / is mounted read-write. However the
># boot script depmod is the master version.
>ifeq "$(strip $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH))" ""
>depmod_opts :=
>else
>depmod_opts := -b $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH) -r
>endif
>.PHONY: _modinst_post
>_modinst_post: _modinst_post_pcmcia
> if [ -r System.map ]; then $(DEPMOD) -ae -F System.map $(depmod_opts) $(KERNELRELEASE); fi
></cite>
>
>I cannot install newest modutils on our CPU servers (I'm no root
>there!) and therefore can never do a sucessful
>
>export INSTALL_MOD_PATH=$HOME
>export INSTALL_PATH=$HOME
>make oldconfig dep bzImage modules modules_install

Trivial fix. Add "export DEPMOD=/bin/true" if you want to suppress
depmod. Or point at a 2.3.13 or later depmod that you installed in
your own directory if you want to run a newer depmod. This is why all
the program names are defined as variables in the Makefile.

>same goes for this "build" symlink, which is also meaningless for
>my purpose and ends up as a dangling link :-(

/lib/modules/xxx/build is only useful if you are installing on the same
system you compile on but there is no field in the Makefile that says
"I am going to install on another machine". Add
rm -f $INSTALL_MOD_PATH/lib/modules/*/build
to the end of your script.

>Linus told us, that he likes the kernel to be buildable
>everywhere. I don't know, whether this includes building it as
>anybody, who has write access to the tree ;-)

Absolutely, you just need to supply some more overrides.