Re: 2.4 and PCMCIA (broken)

From: J. Robert von Behren (jrvb@cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 11:02:15 EST

FWIW, I've seen strange but hard-to-reproduce behavior with the PCMCIA
stuff in test6-pre6 and test6-pre9 on my laptop (Sony VAIO 505TX). I'm
primarily using the wavelan_cs module, which may have something to do
with the problems (wavelan_cs seems to behave more poorly than the other
network drivers I've used on this laptop). Here are the things I've
seen:

* wavelan_cs sometimes doesn't get unloaded when the card is removed
* after some time, the card services seem to get wedged, and don't find
any cards when I insert or remove them. (restarting cardmgr doesn't
help)
* I got an OOPS while doing "insmod wavelan_cs" at one point. I forgot
to save the current ksyms, though, so I couldn't get anything
interesting from it.

I hadn't bothered to send a note to LKML up to this point, b/c I haven't
been able to consistently reproduce any of these problems. Given that
others are having problems as well, though, perhaps these additional
clues will be meaningful to someone. I'll send a followup note if I
find any additional information (or if the problems seem to go away with
test6, which I haven't tried yet....)

Best,

-Rob von Behren