Re: Definitions

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 09:21:47 EST

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, David Woodhouse wrote:

>Secondly, I really don't understand why Red Hat should give a flying
>wossname which filesystem their customers use. If anything, they should
>want to give customers a _wider_ choice, to increase their brand's
>attractiveness.

I agree..

Without even attempting to ask anyone at Red Hat, I'll venture a
guess that they will include every available filesystem that
works properly and will support them too. When KDE was out and
GNOME was in early devel Red Hat rejected KDE because of
licencing issues and everyone started the Red Hat funds GNOME and
doesn't support existing KDE so they are evil and like Microsoft
bullshit. Red Hat waited until KDE licensing issues were solved
and then included KDE happily with nary a complaint whatsoever
alongside GNOME. Red Hat supports the open source community in a
VERY LARGE way and gets shit on by jerks who are unhappy that
they have a successful Linux distribution. I call it jealousy.

In reality it is more like "I didn't get my way.. wah wah.. they
are Microsoft".. I say "get a grip". Red Hat has commited
totally to open source in every way as far as I can see both
looking at what they've done, and talking with people at Red Hat.

They merged with Cygnus, now guess what? ALL of the Cygnus
products are FREE and downloadable WITH SOURCE. Anyone beating
up Red Hat because they don't include stuff that a certain person
wants, immediately jumps to the "evil empire" theory and is
totally full of shit.

>It was my understanding that the European market has largely opted to buy
>SuSE because it's shipped from the Free World and is fully functional as a
>secure system - including SSH and other such programs which weren't
>permitted to be exported from the US.

Sure. If I were German, SuSe would likely have been my first
distribution as well. People often start out using the most
popular dist in their area.

>Now I can see how _that_ could affect Red Hat's business, and
>hopefully now the insane regulations are relaxed, RH7 will
>include the missing functionality and they'll be on a level
>playing field for once.

Yep. Someone will always have evil conspiracy theories about it
though. The fact that Red Hat has hired a number of folk on this
list seems to think that they are trying to take over and twist
kernel development in their favor. I have yet to see a single
person with a redhat.com address on here that has changed the way
they code to support this. I would be surprised to find out any
hidden agenda going on. The only reason such conspiracies are
started is because the person starting them has ran out of
arguments to support their claims.

>I really don't understand why anyone could think that Red Hat
>would want to 'fight' the inclusion of ReiserFS, though.

I doubt that any such thing is going on. If ReiserFS is truely
all that people say it is, and eventually integrates well with
the kernel proper, then I'm sure Red Hat will support it.

One reason they don't support it MIGHT be that it isn't included
in the official kernel, and they don't want to deal with support
issues. Perhaps it isn't really ready yet? Who knows? Has
anyone specifically *ASKED* *ANYONE* at Red Hat why they don't
include ReiserFS? I doubt it. It is easier to assume and to
make conspiracy theories.

My experience with Red Hat has been that if enough people ask for
a feature, and that feature is stable enough, and whatnot, they
include it in the next release. I don't believe I've seen anyone
ever post a message on Red Hat's lists in the last 3 years asking
for ReiserFS.

So, anyone wanting ReiserFS in Red Hat, run to one of the mailing
lists and ASK FOR IT. Asking for things REALLY DOES WORK.

>If anything, I would guess¹ that they'd be including it in
>their shipped version of the 2.4 kernel even if Linus doesn't,
>to ensure that no potential customers go off and buy SuSE
>instead because they need ReiserFS.

Either is possible. I know that I won't be affected. I can
patch my own kernel, and don't use the default distribution
kernel, so any dist coming with or without ReiserFS would result
in me NOT having it unless Linus accepts it mainstream.

I'm sure a number of others feel the same.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Try out Red Hat Linux today: http://www.redhat.com ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/