IDE Tape problem: Diagnosed further...

From: pb@dev.localweb.com
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 10:26:46 EST

Earlier, I posted that my tape backups were being mysteriously truncated.
Now I know that they're being truncated to the tape block size.

That is to say, the block size detected by ide-tape.c is 26kB, so if I
want to get all my data back I have to write to it in some multiple of
that block size.

That having been said, I never had this problem before. Is this how tape
devices are supposed to work under Linux, or is this a bug? I'd hate to
have to rewrite all my scripts because ide-tape.c mysteriously picked a
different block size to autodetect one day.

Also, many thanks to Matthias Andree for hashing this out with me, and
providing some useful pointers to tape drive info.

Peter Baylies
American Data Technology

P.S. I'm still not on the list yet, although if this keeps up,
I might have to subscribe! Until then, please CC: me at
pb@dev.localweb.com, and I'll try to keep up with dejanews.com...