Re: /dev/random blocks forever on 2.2.12 and 2.2.16

From: Oscar Roozen (jor+lkml@xs4all.nl)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 08:56:12 EST

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 02:59:32PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > The only call to add_interrupt_randomness I can find is in */kernel/pci.c
> > from handle_IRQ_event and I don't understand why this one never gets called
> > on this machine. Also the only call to add_blkdev_randomness is in ide.c.
> > Why is there no call from any of the scsi/*.c drivers?
>
> I guess you just need to change the request_irq call in the SMART2 driver
> to specify the SA_SAMPLE_RANDOM flag. I'm not sure if it is a good idea
> though, because e.g. for bulk data transfers the intervals between RAID
> interrupts are probably not very random and may add bogus numbers to your
> entropy pool.

You've got a point here. But then, there is also a lot of network traffic
going on around this machine. Maybe I'll have to look into the eepro100
sources for that.

Is it possible that there are drivers that should set this flag, but don't?

> The randomness generation in scsi/* is also not used, because SMART2 bypasses
> the SCSI layer completely.

Is there randomness generation from scsi/* then? It's a 2.2.x series here.