Re: Oops redux (2.2.14)

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 00:07:48 EST

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:

>> A few days ago I posted a dual Oops to the list from kernel
>> 2.2.14. The Oops occured while simultaneously blanking a CDRW
>> disk on an ATAPI HP7200i drive using ide-scsi, and at the same
>> time trying to mount an ATAPI cd reader on the same
>> bus/channel/cable/whatever. This is a repeatable Oops problem,
>> and I have not received any reply back acknowledging that anyone
>> even received the message.
>
>Overlap may have failed, but you never do same channel operations with a
>CDR/CDRW.

Never as in: "it wont work due to hardware/ATA limitation"

or

Never as in: "it will cause your kernel to Oops"?

;o)

>> Now, I am posting a second time because I want at least a "yeah,
>> the message was received, go to hell" reply at a bare
>> minimum. I'd prefer a "yes, got the message, am really busy,
>> please hold on and I'll look into it later". Or even better.
>
>I need to get a CD-RW because my DVD-RAM-ATAPI is not fully supported.
>To do that test with my DVD-ROM on the same channel.

I'm using 2.2.16 right now, which I avoided due to other Oopses
that I didn't report before (because I was using 3rd party
modules), but I'm using clean 2.2.16 right now. I can't afford
the Oops this second, but I will try it out either tonight before
bed, or tomorrow sometime.

Thanks for the response on this.

Alan, if this is a simple fix, is there a chance to get it into
2.2.17? I'm afraid that someone with cdrom mount access might
Oops my machine when I happen to be blanking an RW... For now
I've disabled the cdrom group.

TIA

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.