Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 09:05:27 EST

--------- Received message begins Here ---------

> > I'd really, really, like some kind of convention that could be
> > standardized. It could be any one of
>
> <Vendor hat on>
>
> Ditto
>
> > /usr/src/linux
> > /lib/include/`uname -r`
> > ../linux
> >
> > (the last requires that pcmcia and Rocketport packages have to be in the
> > same top-level directory as the kernel source tree).
>
> Submit something to the FHS ?
>
> > think /lib/include (ala /lib/modules) is probably the best one but it
> > means dropping approxmiately 4 megabytes into /lib, which might cause
> > some problems for some partitioning schemes.
>
> Symlinks are wonderful things
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/build
>
> neither needs to be a source tree in full nor a copy. In fact its ideal since
> make modules_install will know enough to make the link so the link will
> defacto get put in the right place when people install new kernels. Self
> updating to new features is good.

Just an additional thought..

How about being able to set the link at boot time too - this is for those
sites that have multiple kernels installed (for instance: old reliable,
current reliable, and test). Then each kernel could use different modules
selected at boot time.

This can also be extended to the limited number of applications that
may depend on a particular module version (initialization/table loading/
hardware configuration...) to be selected in a more OS version independant
manner.

I'm thinking of things like the RSBAC security modules and applications that
have to have different versions of the privileged programs depending on the
different versions of the kernel.