Re: br_read_lock SMP race fix

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 18:55:26 EST

   Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:00:40 +0200 (CEST)
   From: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de>

   I don't see why we need any ordering in the fallback path.

Here is one reason. Without the memory barrier nothing guarentees the
store of the counter decrement will leave the local cpu store buffer
in finite time (and thus be visible to the writer). If an ordering is
imposed between the counter decrement store and the spin loop loads,
the store is propagated in finite time thus allowing the writer to
proceed in finite time.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com