[OT] Re: Direct access to hardware

From: Paul Jakma (paul@clubi.ie)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 21:25:07 EST

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> tools or tool from somewhere else, If
> you try to flash the BIOS and it kills
> the board, the warranty will NOT cover
> the replacemet Flash chip with the
> correct BIOS, and will never include the
> shipping and installation fees that getting
> the new chip on yiou board will add.

my Abit SM5 broke after a BIOS upgrade. Phoned Abit and they posted
me a new xxPROM on condition that I post the old one back to them
(which I did).

> I know, I asked 4 different manufacturers
> and 20 retailers/distributors about it.
> This includes retail and OEM versions of
> the boards.

i can't believe this. if i buy a motherboard and it doesn't function
properly, then i can talk to the vendor who may:

1. replace the board
2. tell me to upgrade the bios

if 2. goes wrong they must replace the board. (certainly under
European Consumer law)

> -Thomas

regards,

--