Re: POSSIBLE BUG: 2 cases of Tulip IPX disconnection on wor

From: Info (5740@mail.ru)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 07:03:37 EST

Чтв, 27 Июл 2000, Вы написали:
> > > You can enable 'display watchdog logouts' on server - then you'll find
> > > when exactly breakage happened. And then remembering what you did at
> > > that time, eventually looking into logs what happened at that time.
> > M-mmm... I am not kopengagen...Where I must do it - in novell server
> > config or in Linux kernet's configuration? And if on Novell -on what place
> > concret?
>
> On Novell server. On server cmdline type
> 'set display watchdog logouts = on'. Though I'm not sure that this exist
> on NW3.12...

Kh-gm once more... It's not easy even to check it. Our server loaded from
IDE disc, but works with SCSI disk, and IDE is not mounted. This is
iesy, but! Reload time of server is near 30 minutes... And all the company
users will stay without any computers during this time because of standard
Windows workstation for them is networked and placed on server. If i'l
set wrong future, the whole company will wait computers once more more 30
minutes al least. In summary, it is stopping all work in company to
1-1.5.hour as minimum. And I will have questions by my boss - for such
purposes your stops company? Your tune your Linux? But your are project
manager, not programmer, and if your Linux does not work - use Windoz.
please.

I check it later. It seemed that something about this is present because
this server served a lot (more than 20) diskless Windows workstations
loaded only from server.

Your see how greate gemorroy is to make changes in servers in
non-programmers companies.

> You do not have. I'm just trying to help you with your problem. As it
> does not happen here for me, it must be something specific to your site.

Greate thanks. But I think not about myself. There are many users who want
and can install Linux on their workstations, but can't make changes in
servers.
OK, I as person who have supervisor login to our server. But the Primakow's
assistant I wrote in last letter can't access to Gosduma novell
servers as supervisor. And all users in all large companies can't do it.
They can install Linux on their personal comps, as workgroup soft in
their departments, but they can't change company servers. I want to hear
such words say Vahirev, if your offer to make changes in Gazprom servers
managed all gaz procurement and transportation in whole Russia and the
half of Europe... Such kind of servers works without of any reloading and
changing by ears.
Another case. We connect with our internet provider by ethernet. Out gate
works under Linux (2.2.x now) and have the same Cnet card for Tulip. I
don't know how card is in provider's server. I don't know even the type of
soft on provider's side: maybe it's Novell , maybe Linux, maybe FreeBSD or
Win NT. I have a signal from ethernet. That's all. And I can't sure, if I
ask provider to make changes in his server, does he agree to do it, and
even if does - how soon.

So, on my mind, the Linux software (not only Tulip or other card drivers,
but the other too) MUST be constructed in such case to solve any problem
within Linux. It must be TWO state of software. The first - stable work
without any dependance of external software changing. The second - the
stable unworking; it means the nesessary of trying another way. But it
must not to be the third stay - sometimes work, sometimes no.

And I repead the stupid user's question: if tulip works stable without any
watchdogs and needing of server's changing in old kernel versions, what
was a reason to put innovations brings to the problems? The speed rising
is good thing, but stability is more important. Maybe, to to such thing -
include into kernel 2 version of the same Tulip: the old (more slow, but
more stable) and the new, and user may elect from their?

By the way. I have a problem with Tulip speed setting (10 or 100) on new
cards. It is no obvious parameter, so I had to use old CNet cards only.
The 10Base network will exists by long time because of price
difference to 10 and 100 hubs, but most new cards are two-speed. I
understand that your can ansver personally to me how to tune tulip by the
specific programmer's way. But on my mind it will user-friendly for all
users if in "make xconfig" (menuconfig etc.) screen it will be special
place when user can set up the speed - "only 10", "only 100", and "auto"

> Also, as on IPX watchdogs are served by userspace ncpd, which
>version of ncpfs do you use? Latest is 2.2.0.18.
RedHat 6.2. standard - 2.2.0.17