IPC Topnote G: No serial/parallel I/O ports found

From: Rene Goerlich (goerlich@tfh-berlin.de)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 15:52:55 EST

Hi gang,

Most of Linux is running fine on my notebook,
but parallel port and serial ports are not
found. They are working with Win98, it's not
the hardware.

Symptoms: the ports (3F8, ...) are not in
/proc/ioports. lp.c says "no devices found"
while loading. setserial shows uart unknown
instead of 16550(A). Every access results in EIO
or bad data that are given at read.

ISAPnP finds no devices, pnpdump says no boards found.

CPU: Intel Coppermine P-III, family 6, mod. 8, st. 3, 700MHz.
Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI

Tested with Kernels from 2.0.35...2.2.13...2.2.16
to 2.4.0-test4, same result. RedHat 6.1 and SuSe 6.3 distributions.
Compiled lp/serial drivers into the kernel OR loaded them as modules.

The Phoenix BIOS allows me to select "Auto" or I/O address
and IRQ. Tried both ways. They have a selection for
OS too: Win95, Win98/2000, Other. Tried all to no avail.
I tried also ANY, Direct and BIOS for PCI access mode.

If there's someone on the list who can discuss this with
me: please contact me per PEM, I'm not on the list.
I'm very willing to (help) debug(ging) this, but I'd like
to know a good place to start and to get some hints.

Rene'