RE: IBM Netvista problem / help

From: Dunlap, Randy (randy.dunlap@intel.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 12:07:39 EST

> Okay, I finally got a USB floppy drive in here and, although
> I don't have a
> Linux system on there, I just decided to boot a number of
> kernels and see which ones work.
>
> The latest 2.2 kernel I could find, 2.2.17pre13 hung after doing this:

> Uncompressiing Linux...
>
> invalid compressed format (err=2)
>
> -- System halted
>
> This is the same kernel image I'm running on my other
> computer right now and
> I've put the floppy in two other computers and it works fine there.
>
> So, I went to 2.4.0-test5 and tried it again - almost the
> same error. There's
> a pause between the Loading line and the Uncompressing line
> on the 2.2 kernel
> of about 3 minutes and on the 2.4 kernel it just pauses for a
> long time after
> the Loading and then reboots. These are both with USB
> compiled as a module
> but not loaded. I was going to try compiling it in next.
> --

I don't know about these errors. If I had one of these,
what I would do is build a kernel with USB support and
with the "newer" Gate A20 code that I sent to you last week
and put that kernel onto a boot floppy or CD, or put
it onto the NetVista hard disk (yes, take it out of the NV
and connect it to a working Linux system, put the kernel
on it, and then put it back into the NV), then boot with
this kernel.

HTH.
~Randy