Re: how can i get hold of a file inode ?

From: BenHanokh Gabriel (gabriel@SANgate.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 11:20:46 EST

> If you explained *why* you thought you wanted the number that bmap
> gives you, maybe others would be able to think of a better way of
> achieving your goal.

for a lowlevel mirroring done directly via scsi controler

> > > or it may be a real disk but the block has been transparently remapped
> > > elsewhere by the firmware or probably various other gotchas.
> > >

> > do you mean that a special-purpose hardware is being used as a proxy to the disk, or
> > that this is a feature available in a "normal" hard drives?
>
> All SCSI and other high-end disks do this and I think some fancy
> ATA ones do too (or soon will or something).

do you mean that i think block #X starts on sector #Y, when it realy starts on sector #Z,
but any request regrading sector #Y will be mapped transparently to sector #Z by the
SCSI controler or someone ?
if so i should not realy care as long as i'm interfcing with the SCSI controler, and not
trying to read the drive using my own read/write head.

/gabriel