Re: TO HELL WITH IT THEN......(re: disk-destroyer.c)

From: Andreas Bombe (andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 19:26:15 EST

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 03:43:53PM -0700, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> That is not my problem to solve.
> That is the problem of the sub-system to address.

The point of the firewire example was that the subsystem can not and
should not address that. It lets user space send out correctly formed
packets to other nodes. That's all it's designed for and all its
responsibility. And it's well into conforming to specs.

The point is that there is no difference. The IDE ioctl allows user
space to send correctly formed (I assume?) commands to devices, and
that's all of its responsibilities.

If drives require filtering, what should happen to 1394 drives? As
said, filtering is not possible there by any means nearly feasible.
Should we remove raw1394 over that when it has to be as secure as IDE?

> The liablity issue of allow a default setting have the ablitiy to damage a
> customer's hardware or business is a legal issue that I do not want to
> have to defend in a Court of Law.........

Oh, stop that whining about getting sued... Including the GPL "NO
WARRANTY" clause, what danger is there of getting sued for something
like that?

Do you think XFree developers fear to get sued because their drivers
allow to run a graphics card in a mode than smokes some monitors? Same
for graphics card manufacturers?

Hell, chipset and motherboard makers are selling hardware destruction
capabilities (aka overclocking) as *features*! And none of them got
sued!

Unless you put code in that is designed to fry hardware or data I don't
see how you could be liable.

As a side note, the disk firmware flash doesn't even damage data, which
to some people is worth more than the drives. So that is to some less
of a problem than malicious code messing with the data without noticing
or destroying it.

--
 Andreas E. Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44
http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/    http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/