Re: ATA-6 Draft Proposal Changes for "vender-unique".

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 16:49:53 EST

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> So why must an ata standard try to regulate something that simply is
> outside of it's scope?

It is not, because you have no business turning on "vender-unique"
and they show prevent the drive form accepting them unless told told and
pass-code checked.

Because this is what everyone was trying to pound im my head.
After thinking out their points. There points stretched into a region
that needs to be addressed.

Since I am representing Linux on this committee, it is best that the
standard conform generic and not specific. Thus this is a generic conform
request.

All the ATA-X means is that new drives must conform, and that drives that
are older general assumed to have died, IMHO.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy