Re: disk-destroyer.c

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 13:14:35 EST

On 21 Jul 2000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> There is simply no point in hiding anything from root.

I am not hiding anything, you as root must make a choice to expose full
unrestricted access to the hardware or filter for correct usage.

> What I tried to understand in between Andre's swearwords, is that you

Sorry, but this is very serious to me (fist fights not excluded to win).

> can enable drives to access a full set of parameters ("taskfile") or
> you can disable this. If you enable it, you can fry the drive. If you
> disable it, you can't but you can still use the regular ATA command
> set which is all that the kernel will ever need.

You only need access to the commands that are used and described in the
ATA-ATAPI specification. You do not need to send commands to the drives
that violate the standard making :

LINUX NON-ATA-ATAPI COMPLIANT!

Here is a good phrase.

> The question now is: Once you disabled this, you can't enable it
> again? If this is truw, then I can understand many of the strange
> words that Andre used (though I still think that he was/is under deep
> sleep deprivation and strong drugs). If you can reenable this access,
> then there is no point.

I do take strong drugs to keep me from getting hyper.

The access decision is made at compile time.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy