Re: F*ck*ng japanese garbage postings and possible HACK.

From: Thomas Zehetbauer (thomasz@hostmaster.org)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 03:11:41 EST

> kernelnotes is broken - it doesn't deal properly with the language of over
> 126 million people. "offending characters" is offensive in this context.
This is sad and needs to be fixed. A possibly fix is to remove and later on
block messages using a character set that suggests that the message cannot be
read and understood by english speaking people.

> Spam is evil (and spammers are first against the wall when the revolution
> comes), but this thread is missing the point. Spam != language support. Many
> recipients will now block Japanese posts due to a persistent and annoying
> spammer. This is - in my opinion - monumentally stupid*. In my freemail
> account I use when I am at conferences or Internet cafes contains 20 spams
> since yesterday. All are in English. Shall we ban ASCII and ISO-8859-1
> postings? This is the utter stupidity of this line of argument.
As I did not receive any messages using japanese encoding before I have now
started to filter this encoding because even if I could display the characters
correctly I could not understand them. If a english spammer hits the list I
will probably introduce content based filtering ('make money fast').

Tom

lotus notes: it's not just a mail program, it's a complete denial of service attack in one box!
  T h o m a s Z e h e t b a u e r ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89
       mail pgp-key-request@hostmaster.org