Re: disk-destroyer.c

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 18:02:52 EST

> I hope that "sending raw packets to the disk" is a priviledged
> operation, and not something that simply depends on the permissions on
> the disk device?

Yes it is but even priviledged users can not be allowed to send disk level
distructive commands.

YES/NO ??

The subsystem needs to protect itself and the hardware from general abuse.
In order to do that you must construct a superset (or complete set) of
commands that to get blanket access must be a complied option and user is
at their own risk. The default should be able to accept all commands and
reject the harmful ones. Currently you could issue a modified setfeature
used in configuring drive speed and destroy the drive or device.

The object is to protect this from happening even if you are ROOT or have
stolen ROOT priviledges.

Does this help explain the issue or should I provide a "disk2brick.c"
program to make the point clearer? This will vaporize a drive to the
replacement level. Yes you can to that today!

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy